Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Savior.

When I was a child, I had problems. Some kids don't, but I was not one of them.

I was bullied, I was neglected at school. In short, it was bad. I didn't know it at the time but I had mild dyslexia and ADHD. My teachers never bothered to understand me. I was a bit like that kid from Taare Zameen Par (that movie hit home).

The only thing that was different about me and that kid was that I had the world's best parents. They refused to give up on me. Especially my mom. She wouldn't believe I was dumb - her reasoning was that she had taught me and I was a bright kid but something else was interfering with my learning. Smart lady - she was right, something was interfering.

My parents saw an Ad in th paper one morning, of a doctor in Dubai (we lived in Abu Dhabi then) who dealt with problems kids had. So there in a few days time, I was at that clinic. Thus started the journey of my transformation.

I was in therapy for two years, my parents had therapy on how to deal with my issues better and I had therapy cause at this point I had zero self esteem and confidence left. So I had therapy to deal with that, I had therapy on how to deal with dyselxia and ADHD. Every weekend for two years we used to drive to Dubai for a weekend full of therapy. I hope I can be the kind of parents my parents were, cause that definitely was mentally and physically draining. I guess they really loved me.

I know its random to mention all this, but the lady that ran the clinic came into my life like an angel - when I needed her the most. She came and changed me, she saved me. She taught me how to love myself (she wouldn't know years later a man would come into my life and erase the effort she made but for years after therapy - I did love myself. I was proud of who I was).

Today, my dad somehow searched for her randomly online and found her. And just like that he called her up. She was so happy to hear from him and was even so pleased to hear how I was doing - and how far (in her own words) I had come. It meant so much to me for her to say that to my dad. And now her daughter studies in Toronto and she said she wants to meet us all next time she comes to Toronto.

She was so happy to know I am going to be a psychologist too. It was such a wonderful thing. And since it happened right in the morning, it made me happy for the rest of the day.

Angels come in all shapes and sizes, we may not know but we just need to look closer :)

No quotes or songs for today. Somehow I think I won't be able to find anything that can measure this emotion and what it meant for me.

6 comments:

Abdullah Tariq said...

God bless you.

*high fives*
You're awesome. ^^

Sam said...

Yeshh Sheesss awesomeeeeeee and the most honest person i have ever came across. Lets have her fan club :D

OnLY OnE..! said...

omg you guys are so gay. you make me so happy <3.
:) :) :)

Anonymous said...

You're brave. And I'm proud of you.

Anonymous said...

its so difficult to love yourself sometimes and i am so very glad you do. please keep on doing so and ignore everyone else. :)

The Enchantress said...

you really r a strong gal....
yeah,angels do come in our lives and leave us ven we are happy again....we all need such angels in our lives...

u need to read my post- you are my angel,u vl like it...

god bless u..
i love u alot...